Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   The Bull Pit (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Double Bass versus Bass Guitar. (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1204)

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 05:08 PM

Double Bass versus Bass Guitar.

Well, to kick this off, double basses are bigger.

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 05:09 PM

A contrary view: bass guitars are easier to carry around.

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 08:41 PM

They don't make Bel Canto strings for bass guitar.

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 08:43 PM

A contrary view: When Oren Hudson is in his pyjamas, he chooses to play a bass guitar and not a double bass.

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 08:46 PM

When people come to your house and there's a bass standing the corner, they are impressed because they think someone who lives here plays the cello.

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 08:48 PM

A contrary view: When women see a bass guitarist playing in a band, they think he's a guitar player and they become interested in him.

Oren Hudson 08-28-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 15158)
A contrary view: When Oren Hudson is in his pyjamas, he chooses to play a bass guitar and not a double bass.

Simply stated, since I've been eating so many grits, my belly gets in the way of the double bass while sitting down on Christmas morning in the sun room in Gastonia, NC in the heart of Dixie of The South, while the bass guitar is just a bit smaller and therefore easier to fit on my lap. :D

Joel Larsson 08-29-2009 02:18 PM

Good point there, Oren. When the belly is full, it chokes the vibrations of the DB! Now here's one that's got to stay FIT!! :eek:

Ken Smith 08-29-2009 03:25 PM

well.

First off, I can't believe I'm getting dragged in to this thread.. Self inflicted I might add.. lol

Ok, you can't play any other bass in a Symphony Orchestra other than the bowed Double bass, with some pizz when indicated.

For some parts of the music business or most actually, it is one or the other type bass as it fits. Like wearing a bathing suit or dress suit? You can't dive in a pool with a suit and tie and you can't play an Orchestra concert in the bass section (or any other section) wearing a bathing suit!:p

Richard Prowse 08-29-2009 04:19 PM

Ken, my friend, you are funnier than a Mesopotamiam bull fighter!:rolleyes:
Many years ago I helped out by playing double bass in a combined secondary schools youth orchestra - I was teaching somewhere or other and they were short of basses. We performed in the Michael Fowler Centre, which is where the symphony orchestra plays in Wellington - a posh venue! Ken, you won't believe this, sitting behind the basses was a kid with a bass guitar, amp et al, playing along. :eek:
I guess he ignored the 'arco' instructions on his part. :rolleyes:

Richard Prowse 08-31-2009 02:20 PM

Double bass is bigger. What? Have I said that before?
Okay then, double bass can be bowed to sound like an earthquake.

Richard Prowse 08-31-2009 02:22 PM

Bass guitar players have their own section on Ken's Corner.

Ken Smith 08-31-2009 06:05 PM

and..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 15191)
Bass guitar players have their own section on Ken's Corner.

So do Double Basses..;)

Richard Prowse 08-31-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 15198)
So do Double Basses..;)

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that answer, birthday boy!:D

Ken Smith 08-31-2009 07:48 PM

b'day?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 15199)
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that answer, birthday boy!:D

Rich buddy, it's only 8/31 here.. I can't open the presents 'till mornin'..:(

Richard Prowse 08-31-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 15201)
Rich buddy, it's only 8/31 here.. I can't open the presents 'till mornin'..:(

Dammit! (yankee expression) I forgot we're a day ahead Down here (NZ).
Well, at least I got in first with the birthday greetings!

Better post something to keep on topic.
Um, double basses have a spike.

Ken Smith 08-31-2009 09:15 PM

a spike?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 15202)
Dammit! (yankee expression) I forgot we're a day ahead Down here (NZ).
Well, at least I got in first with the birthday greetings!

Better post something to keep on topic.
Um, double basses have a spike.

Oh yes of course, but us 'responsible' DB players use a 'Rubber' to protect our 'tips'..:p Would a BG player even bother?:confused:

Richard Prowse 08-31-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 15206)
Oh yes of course, but us 'responsible' DB players use a 'Rubber' to protect our 'tips'..:p Would a BG player even bother?:confused:

Another good point (no pun intended) birthday boy!:D

Dave Martin 09-01-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 15175)
First off, I can't believe I'm getting dragged in to this thread.. Self inflicted I might add.. lol

Ok, you can't play any other bass in a Symphony Orchestra other than the bowed Double bass, with some pizz when indicated.

For some parts of the music business or most actually, it is one or the other type bass as it fits. Like wearing a bathing suit or dress suit? You can't dive in a pool with a suit and tie and you can't play an Orchestra concert in the bass section (or any other section) wearing a bathing suit!:p

Well, Carol Kaye worked with, I believe, the Denver Symphony for a little while on electric bass, and I personally have gone into a pool wearing a a tux (admittedly, it was more of a 'shove' than a 'dive', but the end result was the same...

Oren Hudson 09-01-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 15206)
Would a BG player even bother?:confused:

All we bother to do is attract the hot chicks, get to the bottom of things, then enjoy the rest of the alloted time. Sounds like fun only because it is. :)