Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Bows (and Rosin etc) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bad Dream.. (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1894)

Ken Smith 04-30-2011 04:47 PM

Bad Dream..

I dreamed last night that I was doing an Orchestra concert and playing GERMAN Bow.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I woke up, came into the office and played 6 of my Basses with 2 different French Bows.. whew...:):cool::D

It was just a nightmare..:(

Eric Swanson 04-30-2011 05:01 PM

:)

That Sue Lipkins' "Sartory" model should chill out just about any bad dream, I would think...

Ken Smith 04-30-2011 05:08 PM

lol..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Swanson (Post 22536)
:)

That Sue Lipkins' "Sartory" model should chill out just about any bad dream, I would think...

Yes, it did!;)

Eric Swanson 05-01-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 22537)
Yes, it did!;)

OK, I have to ask; what was the second bow you used to dispel the demons?

Ken Smith 05-01-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Swanson (Post 22540)
OK, I have to ask; what was the second bow you used to dispel the demons?

Just the one that was in the bow quiver of my Neuner in the rack. When I pulled that bass out I just used that Bow so it wasn't in the way. It was my Eibert Sartory model, about 10 years old.

Richard Prowse 05-03-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 22535)
I dreamed last night that I was doing an Orchestra concert and playing GERMAN Bow.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I woke up, came into the office and played 6 of my Basses with 2 different French Bows.. whew...:):cool::D

It was just a nightmare..:(

I was in the South Island doing a nine day tour with a trio a week ago. The singer likes to play the verse (rubato) to Pennies From Heaven as a sort of intro. I started to play it with him, using French grip on my German bow, and it sounded quite nice. I did this on a few gigs.
We experienced some very heavy rain when the tour got to the Marlborough Sounds. When I stopped using that French grip on that tune the weather cleared up. I think the German bow encourages nicer weather.

Ken Smith 05-03-2011 01:39 AM

Richard, several years ago while playing in a concert band my hand was getting tired playing the Tuba part in the ump-pa parts along with two tubas. I then grabbed my French bow underhand/German grip. Other than twisting my wrist to play, it felt rather nice and easier to get the sound out.

Richard Prowse 05-04-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 22557)
Richard, several years ago while playing in a concert band my hand was getting tired playing the Tuba part in the ump-pa parts along with two tubas. I then grabbed my French bow underhand/German grip. Other than twisting my wrist to play, it felt rather nice and easier to get the sound out.

Good on you Ken, there's hope that you may be converted yet - to the dark tone side!

Ken Smith 05-04-2011 11:48 AM

Converted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 22561)
Good on you Ken, there's hope that you may be converted yet - to the dark tone side!

Converted?.. No...:eek:

But accepted that others do it?..

Sure, as long as it makes you a better person..;)