Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Smith Strings (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   medium to medium-light (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=456)

Desmund Nichols 08-14-2007 10:25 AM

medium to medium-light

Ken, i was driving around for weeks trying to buy a set of taper core med 5 for my Black Tiger. NOBODY HAD THEM. I even went to the dealers and they only had medium-light. I had to order a case for myself (which is good because now i have my own supply). Would the medium-light strings fit, or would i of had to get my bass recut and stuff. I ordered them yesterday, but I need them by Thursday becasue I have weekend gigs and I stilll have the original string that came with my bass in November. My bass has lost almost all of its tone.

KEN, PLEASE MAKE YOUR STUFF MORE AVAILABLE, I DROVE ALL OVER NYS TRYING TO FIND THEM AND I STILL DIDNT GET THEM.

Darren Lipper 08-14-2007 10:41 AM

Hey Desmund,

Rudys on 48th st. between 6th and Broadway has Smith tapercore strings... Take the B/D to 47-50th Rockefeller Plaza or the N/R/W to 49th

Peace,
Darren

Desmund Nichols 08-14-2007 10:43 AM

I went there yesterday and they only had light and medium-light. I don't understand why, especially when the basses are cut for medium strings. Does it matter if I use medium-light?

Darren Lipper 08-14-2007 10:52 AM

You would have to adjust your neck and action if you switched from the mediums to the light...

I get tapercore mediums there for my 4 string Smith...

I work at Rockefeller plaza, so during lunch today I will stop in and check when or IF they are getting some Medium 5 string sets...

The easiest thing would be to call up Ken and order them... probably the cheapist too

D

Ken Smith 08-14-2007 11:07 AM

Availibilty..

We cannot force dealers to carry strings or re-stock them regularly. It is up to the store to run their business or run it into the ground which is often the case.

Do NOT waste time and Gas driving around looking for strings. Just order them from us directly the moment you realize you need them. Always carry an extra set just in case. One never knows! The moment you use that spare set, order another or even two to amortize shipping expenses as we charge a flat rate for string shipments to musicians.

Tim Bishop 08-14-2007 11:11 AM

Strings?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols (Post 6033)
Ken, i was driving around for weeks trying to buy a set of taper core med 5 for my Black Tiger. NOBODY HAD THEM. I even went to the dealers and they only had medium-light. I had to order a case for myself (which is good because now i have my own supply). Would the medium-light strings fit, or would i of had to get my bass recut and stuff. I ordered them yesterday, but I need them by Thursday becasue I have weekend gigs and I stilll have the original string that came with my bass in November. My bass has lost almost all of its tone.

KEN, PLEASE MAKE YOUR STUFF MORE AVAILABLE, I DROVE ALL OVER NYS TRYING TO FIND THEM AND I STILL DIDNT GET THEM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols (Post 6035)
I went there yesterday and they only had light and medium-light. I don't understand why, especially when the basses are cut for medium strings. Does it matter if I use medium-light?

Desmund,

Not sure what you mean by "recut and stuff", however,............

If your bass is set up with Smith Medium Taper Cores, and you change them to a lighter gauge, you may have to have your bass set-up accordingly. So, yes, it matters. I would recommend you stick with the Smith Medium Taper Cores. ;)

Your concern about whether or not the medium lights will fit is not the issue. The medium lights will string just fine, the issue lies in the gauge. A lighter gauge string will change tension on the neck: You will notice a change in feel and sound. ;)

Suggestion: Going forward, order the strings directly from Ken. Also, don't wait until the last minute to locate strings when you need them. Always have spare sets handy!

Desmund Nichols 08-15-2007 08:57 AM

Thanks. I ordered a box of my own, so I should be well stocked for a while.

Desmund Nichols 06-07-2012 06:40 PM

Med light

I think I'm making the switch to medium light strings.

Scott Pope 06-14-2012 07:23 AM

What Ken said. You'll spend much more in gasoline and time rather than simply ordering a couple of sets so you have spares.

At the very least, when I need something, whether strings or anything else, I call a store first before going over.