Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   The Bull Pit (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chicks don't dig music! (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1858)

Eduardo Barbosa 03-10-2011 02:13 PM

Chicks don't dig music!

Why is that girls in general don't care much for serious music?
I don't mean, Esperanza, Tal, etc. etc. But in general if there is a band playing some interesting music regardless of style, is more likely that guys will be able to appreciate it in some level. But girls only care about music that they can dance to. Or they might like some pop/rock bands if they like the lead vocalist. And a few here and there might come to a Jazz performance if they like the bass player! ;)
Anyway, this reality sucks because I like playing for girls!!! :D

Thomas Erickson 03-10-2011 10:47 PM

Well...

I don't think this is really true, but I can see where it seems that way. I bet if you did a survey, you'd find that a lot of the women you think don't like music actually just think the music scene is a sausage party. :rolleyes:

Bin Hire 03-12-2011 03:43 PM

Che cosa Eduardo?
This is simply not true!
This is a generalisation, maybe based on some women you know? Or maybe you are shooting in the dark?
Personally I know many talented women musicians and many, many descerning female listeners; at least as many as the men I know. Generalisations about things have got the world in a lot of trouble in the past. I believe deep music to be about intuition and sensitivity; two qualities that women have in abundance. We men can only learn from these beautiful creatures.

Eduardo Barbosa 03-12-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bin Hire (Post 22265)
Che cosa Eduardo?
This is simply not true!
This is a generalisation, maybe based on some women you know? Or maybe you are shooting in the dark?
Personally I know many talented women musicians and many, many descerning female listeners; at least as many as the men I know. Generalisations about things have got the world in a lot of trouble in the past. I believe deep music to be about intuition and sensitivity; two qualities that women have in abundance. We men can only learn from these beautiful creatures.

Well, that has unfortunately being my experience. I play about 7 to 10 gigs a week and most of the people interested in jazz are guys. Especially as the music becomes more intellectual.
At least 90% in not more of the students enrolled in the Jazz program of the various universities around here are guys.
According with a little research a did on my own, talking to friends and colleagues, only about 5% to 7% of women visit musicians pages on youtube.
I wish I could agree with you, but I don't think I a generalizing.

Richard Prowse 03-13-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa (Post 22266)
Well, that has unfortunately being my experience. I play about 7 to 10 gigs a week and most of the people interested in jazz are guys. Especially as the music becomes more intellectual.
At least 90% in not more of the students enrolled in the Jazz program of the various universities around here are guys.
According with a little research a did on my own, talking to friends and colleagues, only about 5% to 7% of women visit musicians pages on youtube.
I wish I could agree with you, but I don't think I a generalizing.

Hey, I'm with Bin on this one. Are you saying that blokes are more intellectual? Should music even be intellectual? You play about 7 to 10 gigs a week? And they're jazz gigs? Well, you're obviously doing something right!

Terry McDougal 03-13-2011 12:30 AM

7 to 10 jazz gigs a week? Incredible!

Eduardo Barbosa 03-13-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry McDougal (Post 22269)
7 to 10 jazz gigs a week? Incredible!

Nope! I didn't say 7 to 10 JAZZ gigs a week. I said : 7 to 10 gigs a week.
I think that maybe 60% to 80% might be jazz gigs.
Things are kind of slow, but I remember from about 1998 until about 2004 I was playing pretty much only Jazz, and I hardly ever even had to touch an electric bass.
I've been very lucky and blessed.
I am sure glad to hear you guys don't agree with me. It makes me feel like there is hope. I tend to feel like more there is usually more women in the audience when the music is more commercial.

Terry McDougal 03-13-2011 01:17 AM

So, say 6 jazz gigs a week?
Still good.

Bin Hire 03-13-2011 01:20 AM

But he's playing to a group of men. Less gigs and more women could possibly equate as a better option?

Bin Hire 03-13-2011 01:21 AM

Well, unless he decides to join the other team.

Eduardo Barbosa 03-13-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bin Hire (Post 22272)
But he's playing to a group of men. Less gigs and more women could possibly equate as a better option?

ha! that's funny!
I do play with a singer/songwriter that chicks really dig though... so that somewhat keeps things balanced.

Terry McDougal 03-14-2011 03:13 AM

Eduardo, picking up women is a different skill to bass playing.
Noo jist haud on! As we say back home.

Scott Pope 03-14-2011 09:54 AM

I beg to differ: my wife really enjoys Stravinsky, Mozart, Vivaldi, etc., and we go to the regional symphony occasionally, but then again, maybe that's one reason she's my wife and not someone else....:D

Terry McDougal 03-15-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Pope (Post 22284)
I beg to differ: my wife really enjoys Stravinsky, Mozart, Vivaldi, etc., and we go to the regional symphony occasionally, but then again, maybe that's one reason she's my wife and not someone else....:D

Scott, if your wife was someone else, would someone else be your wife? You probably wouldn't know that that someone else was no longer your wife, and you would probably just think that the someone else, who was now your wife, had been your wife all along. Though, maybe she'd be less happy about going to regional symphony concerts.

Scott Pope 03-15-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry McDougal (Post 22286)
Scott, if your wife was someone else, would someone else be your wife? You probably wouldn't know that that someone else was no longer your wife, and you would probably just think that the someone else, who was now your wife, had been your wife all along. Though, maybe she'd be less happy about going to regional symphony concerts.

Terry, you have succinctly summed up the metaphysics of a marriage. CSN summed it up another way, of course: if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Anselm Hauke 03-16-2011 03:08 PM

Chicks don´t dig music?

are you sure eduardo?
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...3463343630.jpg

Terry McDougal 03-21-2011 01:12 AM

Anselm is a great finisher!

Cliff Crosby 03-21-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 22293)

:cool: I'd like to meet the bass player.

Anselm Hauke 03-21-2011 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Crosby (Post 22348)
:cool: I'd like to meet the bass player.

no problem, but don´t forget: she´s a little bit older now:

Ed Friedland 03-24-2011 12:41 AM

So, you may not get the chicks playing jazz.... but think of all that money!