Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Chinese/Asian (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Christopher Basses (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1219)

Shane Wilcox 06-20-2011 02:34 AM

Big fan of the semicolon :); not so much of the rolling E string:(.

Terry McDougal 06-20-2011 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Wilcox (Post 22883)
Big fan of the semicolon :); not so much of the rolling E string:(.

Ha Shane! Are you a trained comedian?:D

Richard Prowse 06-20-2011 02:49 AM

The semicolon is making a comeback. Terry, around these parts Shiney's jokes are shared by many; well a few, but a discerning few. Look, if pressured I could dig up at least one guy around here who has been uplifted by one of his jokes. Oops, hold it, that guy was an Australian - I don't think they count.

Bin Hire 06-20-2011 03:08 AM

Richard I think Shane is Australian.:eek:

Shane Wilcox 06-20-2011 04:40 PM

One does what one can. I am Australian, and have long since stopped apologising for it ;).

Richard Prowse 06-21-2011 02:02 AM

Cheer up Shiney. Hey, I sent you an email about a jam on the 26th at Meow. You should take your bass. Hit them with the big Christopher!

Shane Wilcox 06-21-2011 03:44 AM

I'll keep it in mind. Are you planning to go? We could double double bass ... bass.

[/crickets]

Richard Prowse 06-21-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Wilcox (Post 22901)
I'll keep it in mind. Are you planning to go? We could double double bass ... bass.

[/crickets]

Could be a plan. One guy on the bass line, and the other getting in everybody's way with a bow.

Shane Wilcox 06-21-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 22906)
Could be a plan. One guy on the bass line, and the other getting in everybody's way with a bow.

Which do you want to be? :D

Richard Prowse 06-21-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Wilcox (Post 22907)
Which do you want to be? :D

Can I please be the guy with the bow that gets in the violinists' way?

Shane Wilcox 06-22-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 22908)
Can I please be the guy with the bow that gets in the violinists' way?

I wouldn't have it otherwise.

Shane Wilcox 06-22-2011 03:28 PM

In case anyone's still paying attention, I've had a response from Savarez -- the strings are indeed 380M. On further examination, I have come to the conclusion that the E string probably isn't actually "rolling" (I've watched a mark on the string as I play it), it's just low tension and on the quiet side.

Savarez helpfully sent me a spreadsheet useful in identifying their strings -- I'll post a copy on the Strings forum here, and over on [gulp] the "other" forum.

Richard Prowse 06-22-2011 11:58 PM

How long did they say the new strings would take to arrive?

Shane Wilcox 06-23-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 22926)
How long did they say the new strings would take to arrive?

3-5 days, so may be here in the next couple of days.

Shane Wilcox 06-25-2011 07:40 PM

Richard has very kindly provided me with some stiffer strings while I await the arrival of the Evah weichs -- alongside the flabby E string, it now has Corelli 370 TX forte (I believe that's the correct designation) A, D and G strings. The bass has responded very well; it is now both louder and more focused.

I have a very small acoustic gig tonight (duo with a guitar/vocalist), and am looking forward to seeing how it stacks up.

Shane Wilcox 06-27-2011 02:51 AM

First gig on this bass, and it gave a pretty good account of itself. Good unamplified projection into the standing-room only crowd (I jest) from a less than ideal acoustic vantage point. A number of friends, who also played their own sets, commented favourably on the tone and volume (and my playing, which was nice. I think they may even have meant it). It felt much more pizz-friendly with the better strings on board, and I was able to hear myself quite well.

Richard played it at his place on the weekend; perhaps he can offer further comment as a substantially more experienced and far better player than I.

Richard Prowse 06-27-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Wilcox (Post 22957)
First gig on this bass, and it gave a pretty good account of itself. Good unamplified projection into the standing-room only crowd (I jest) from a less than ideal acoustic vantage point. A number of friends, who also played their own sets, commented favourably on the tone and volume (and my playing, which was nice. I think they may even have meant it). It felt much more pizz-friendly with the better strings on board, and I was able to hear myself quite well.

Richard played it at his place on the weekend; perhaps he can offer further comment as a substantially more experienced and far better player than I.

Shiney, I'm glad the gig went well and that the feedback (about your playing) was so good.
The bass certainly sounded good when I heard it.
I only stayed at the Americana jam for an hour - it got a bit repetitive with singer guitarists doing their thing. They don't let bass players call tunes.

Shane Wilcox 06-28-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 22958)
They don't let bass players call tunes.

I'm feeling you, brother. Are we not men? If we are cut, do we not bleed? If we have ears, do we not like to hear more than 3 chords?

Richard Prowse 06-29-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Wilcox (Post 22966)
I'm feeling you, brother. Are we not men? If we are cut, do we not bleed? If we have ears, do we not like to hear more than 3 chords?

I guess that's why God (that folklore character who was into universe construction) invented the trumpet and proclaimed,
"Take ye, oh bass players, a trumpet as a second instrument that can be used at jams - it's easy to carry and makes a lot of noise."

Richard Prowse 06-07-2012 01:33 AM

I'm back practising the violin.