Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Hybrid DB Strings (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Oliv question (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=2268)

Steve Alcott 12-23-2012 02:01 PM

Oliv question

I have Oliv GDA on the way and need suggestions for a compatible long E. I do about 70/30 arco/pizz.

Anselm Hauke 12-23-2012 02:32 PM

eva pirazzi weich
thats what i use for the my 70/30

Ken Smith 12-23-2012 04:06 PM

Oliv A?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Alcott (Post 25867)
I have Oliv GDA on the way and need suggestions for a compatible long E. I do about 70/30 arco/pizz.

That A is huge and the Oliv E even bigger being a gut core.. For an E to match the Oliv A you need something dark sounding and thick. For a long string I assume you need for the C-Extension. Then I would say Original Flexocor. The Stark 92 E/C would have been my choice but they discontinued it. The Original Flatchrome E/C is my second choice. Thicker but brighter.

If just using the G and D Oliv, you can try the Eudoxa A and E/C. That works well too. I've used that myself.

All this depends on the bass and how it sounds.

Steve Alcott 12-23-2012 05:06 PM

I don't remember the A being that huge, but it has been a while. The bass FWIW, is a Pollmann Bussetto, 30 years old, big, somewhat gruff sound. I'm trying to get a darker sound but still maintain some pizz (mostly unamped) viability. We shall see.

Arnold Schnitzer 12-23-2012 05:55 PM

Couldn't control yourself, could you old friend?

Steve Alcott 12-23-2012 06:11 PM

They're a Christmas present from me to me. I've been very good this year. Inevitability strikes again.

Arnold Schnitzer 12-31-2012 01:11 PM

Evah Weich long E.

Steve Alcott 01-01-2013 01:57 AM

After some reflection, I've bailed on the Olivs and ordered a set of Flexocor Originals. I don't have anything but orchestra playing til April, so I decided to try some real arco guy strings. The Olivs were only gonna break my heart (and wallet) again, anyway......

Steve Alcott 01-03-2013 03:15 PM

Got the Flexocors on and settling in-after 40+ years, my first ever set of real arco-oriented strings. This will be interesting.

Ken Smith 01-06-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Alcott (Post 25894)
Got the Flexocors on and settling in-after 40+ years, my first ever set of real arco-oriented strings. This will be interesting.

I kinda know how you feel. I tried Flexocors briefly (maybe for a day or less) back around 1971. Although they bowed better then Spiros on the bass I had then, they were not for me for what I was doing. From about 10 years ago, a lifetime later, I am playing mainly orchestra. First, I tried Obligatos as a split down the middle and then, Flex 92s. Back where I started ages ago. ;)

Steve Alcott 01-10-2013 01:24 AM

I'm liking the Flex Originals a lot-the sound is getting darker as they settle in and the Perm E is a good match. The pizz is coming along as well-there's increasing sustain but no growl, which suits me fine. I don't have anything for this bass but arco work til April, so there's no reason to change anything til then.

Steve Alcott 02-05-2013 12:03 AM

Well, as fate would have it, I have been given a stash of used Olivs, and have so far found 3 GDA sets with no loose windings. EP long E is a nice match. Life is good. Anybody need some Flex Originals and a Perm E?

Arnold Schnitzer 02-06-2013 08:49 AM

And the madness continues...:D

Ken Smith 02-06-2013 12:08 PM

free?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Alcott (Post 26027)
Well, as fate would have it, I have been given a stash of used Olivs, and have so far found 3 GDA sets with no loose windings. EP long E is a nice match. Life is good. Anybody need some Flex Originals and a Perm E?

Hey, I love that set. Send them to me, please!

A small token for maintaining the Forum in which we speak..;)

Steve Alcott 02-06-2013 01:16 PM

Madness is more easily managed when you can do it on the cheap. I'm currently onto G/D Oliv on top of A/E Evahs. Orch tonight and I'm the bass section-we'll see what happens.