Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Jazz Corner (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Do longer finger nails make pizz. sound different? (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1201)

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 03:47 AM

Do longer finger nails make pizz. sound different?

I've grown my nails slightly because I need to play guitar at work (I teach music to classes of adolescents). The nails are not good for bass guitar playing, but I really like the sound I get with pizz. on the big fiddle. The nails aren't actually brushing the strings but, somehow, they seem to give a bit more attack to the sound. They give a sort of NHOP sound and I like it. Any thoughts?

Anselm Hauke 08-28-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prowse (Post 15127)
Any thoughts?

you now have a new unique selling proposition

Richard Prowse 08-28-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 15128)
you now have a new unique selling proposition

what? I should sell my fingernails?

Tomas Bouda 11-14-2009 11:42 PM

i think that fingernails always get in the way on the bass. they have their place: on classical guitars and chalkboards!

Richard Prowse 11-16-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomas Bouda (Post 16522)
i think that fingernails always get in the way on the bass. they have their place: on classical guitars and chalkboards!

Chalkboards? I thought it was all whiteboards these days.
When I mentioned finger nails, I didn't really mean ones long enought to play classical guitar - I was more thinking of finger reinforcement. There's a length that seems to make your finger tips a little more rigid (no pun on my Christian name intended).

Tomas Bouda 11-19-2009 01:30 PM

i'm still not sure about finger re-enforcement. i mean, pizz should be played more with the entire finger - not just the tip. that's how ray brown got his massive sound out. finger tips are too weak on their own and i don't think that any nail length will fix that problem. still, its my opinion that fingernails of all lengths get in the way. i keep mine as short as possible at all times!:eek:

Richard Prowse 11-19-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomas Bouda (Post 16601)
i'm still not sure about finger re-enforcement. i mean, pizz should be played more with the entire finger - not just the tip. that's how ray brown got his massive sound out. finger tips are too weak on their own and i don't think that any nail length will fix that problem. still, its my opinion that fingernails of all lengths get in the way. i keep mine as short as possible at all times!:eek:

Yes, there are certainly times to play with the whole finger. I use three fingers and the nail part is not the whole equation. However it does reinforce behind the pad that is the end of the finger. Though, to be honest, I haven't thought much about pizz. lately as my practice has been almost entirely arco; and I haven't had any gigs for a few weeks.

Paul Warburton 01-20-2010 07:22 PM

I can't imagine playing with the inside edges of fingernails.
One thing I do do (that voodoo that you do so well) ;) is something I copped from my mentor Red Mitchell. When I want a different color during a solo I will use the back (or, the surface) of my index finger nail to get a more intense kind of ""zing" on a particular note for color. That attack makes a note stick out real nice now and then.

Richard Prowse 01-21-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Warburton (Post 17575)
I can't imagine playing with the inside edges of fingernails.
One thing I do do (the voodoo that I do do so well) ;) is something I copped from my mentor Red Mitchell. When I want a different color during a solo I will use the back (or, the surface) of my index finger nail to get a more intense kind of ""zing" on a particular note for color. That attack makes a note stick out real nice now and then.

Interesting.
I've actually got way past the finger nail thing, though I was only thinking of the nail as a finger stiffener (I don't think I spelt that right), not something to actually strike the string with.

Charles A Thomas 03-07-2010 12:50 PM

I have always found the useing the meaty part of either index finger or index and middle fingers together produces the most fat sound.