View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I've done quite a few acoustic gigs lately - I know what you mean about playing without an amp, though my bass is nowhere near the Pollmann's league. I've just put my Weichs back on and am enjoying the growl, but think I need a heavier string. Gut? Probably not. How do they bow? Are they a loud string?
I have owned personally 3 Pollmanns and played many many more. This is the loudest Pollmann I have ever played. I did one acoustic Gig a few months ago but it had all Flexocor 92s on it. It cut thru the trio easily. The Guts however seem even louder than the Flexs did.

Bowing, stick with an Orchestra String. The Guts with a Bow for me are more of a 'memory lane' kinda thing having played them in High School Orchestra and Jazz Band. I might take it out on occasion for kicks but for the money, I'm gonna stick with the Flexocor kind for the most part or some other good bowing steel string. My 5er has Obligatos and until they die, I will use them on that Bass. I have Weichs on my Bohemian Bass that I use for Amp'd gigs but that's only because they came on another Bass that needed something darker and more Bowable so I switched things around. Why waste a usable set of strings? For the most part, I am not much of a fan for any Spiro type string for Bowing.