View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Junior Posting Member

John McGuire is on a distinguished road

Roger: no problem, I don't mind. I had the same question. I have tried to use the Smith for those type of classic rock and jazz standard gigs with not much luck being able to get a tone which can work in the mix. However, for the fusion jazz, chordal stuff I also do, the Smith is the best. I feel I can also get a better Jaco type tone from it when compared to my old Fender Jazz bass. Also the Smith does interplay with acoustic guitars well in my exper. I did a large club a couple of weeks ago (+600 people), mostly classic rock type stuff with some jazz Christmas songs in for good measure. I tried my new Smith out. I couldn't get it to cut through, especially in the upper registers. I pulled out the old Rickenbacker and it ripped through with better clarity in the upper/mids and lows. I only paid $400 and had to reglue a cracked headstock for this old ric and it always gets the most audience amazement for some reason on both the tone and the looks, go figure.

I know I am going to get shot for saying this: I wish there were tone selectors on the smith to get a more agressive old school tone, like my old ric 4003 or Jazz. So we could have both the best in modern tone and abit of old school when you need a dose. That way I would only take one bass to all gigs.

The Smith's feel, playability, quality is what impresses me most! It is unbelievable!

Cheers, J.P.