View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Junior Posting Member

Matthew Heintz is on a distinguished road

• Gamba shape
  • 41 3/4" or 42" string length
  • Simple purfling
  • No fancy carving
  • Big shoulders are fine (even preferred) so long as the overstand is sufficient to grant full access to the upper register
  • Predrilled for Laborie endpin or something like the KC tilt block; or just make sure that the block is sufficiently sturdy to accept an angled endpin. More and more players use these and perhaps more would if basses were already prepared for them.
  • Sloane tuning machines or something of equivalent quality
  • Chromatic Extension; if it's between having an extension or fancy purling, carving and bee stings on violin corners, I'll take an extension any day of the week.
  • I'm a sucker for nice flame, but many of the best basses that I've played have very plain wood and if using plain wood means more time/money for an extension, nice tuning machines, adjustable bridge... by all means use plain wood.
  • Flat back vs. carved back: whatever you think works best, but, again, if it's an extra 100 hours to carve a back and you have a nice stable design for a flatback, save the time/money and put it into setup, wood etc...
  • Simple bumpers (not everyone's keep of tea, but it's better than grinding the ribs)
  • Detachable neck. It is becoming very, very difficult to travel. If your customer flies for even one or two gigs or auditions, you will easily save them hundreds of dollars.
In short, make it totally functional from day one.