View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
But, I meant the 'Original' FlatChrome as it's now called, not the regular FlatChrome. The Origs. have the blue/white threads at the tail. The FCs have the red/white and are thinner gauged. The Orig. FCs by the way used to be called 'Eudoxa' FlatChromes aka then Eudoxa 'Steels' rather than the gut cored Eudoxa which is still made today.
Gah, darn Pirastro and their string names. I also meant Original Flatchrome. All this name confusion almost makes me buy a set of Bel Canto, for premiering their good sense of giving their strings an easily recognizable name...

Also switched from my Perm solos to the mentioned Orig. FC on D and G and Eudoxa (yes, the gut core) on A and E. And guess what, I was a bit disappointed, especially with the FC's! I know I come right from a solo set, but they didn't respond as I thought they did. More difficult to get going than perhaps they should, and not really responding to my attempts at playing loud. The Eudoxas were a bliss compared to the solo strings, though; they will always be a bit unresponsive but they're excused. Afte all they have gut core... and they make the bass rumble nicely, and make a beautiful sound, at least in the lowest three positions. But, maybe a set of Bel Canto would be just it...

Anyways, no, of course you can't know beforehand what will work. But considering the seeming fact that Calvin's E string problem probably comes from the high pressure (and that this is the most common Flex problem) we have to make our best guess. I believe he has got some food for thought now. Tell us where you end up, will you, Calvin?