View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
Hey. Well, the problem kind of fixed it self. The fingerboard needed a bit of a planing and Don did it himself today. With an extra bit of clearance and the bridge height raised a bit the string really started to speak. It was a bit pre-mature of me to judge the string based solely off of a few days of playing it. Currently it sounds very warm and and it's matching the rest of the other strings, nice and dark...The G is however very bright, but that's a different story, and I kind of like the brighter G, it helps me cut through for solo playing.

Belcanto's....I hated these strings, they just felt kind of wimpy in comparison to Flexocores.

The bass is sounding fantastic now that it was a great set of strings on 'em!
Now you see why I tweak every bass of mine that I personally play. The strings can only do so much.

As far as your Bel' hatred, I was not much of a fan either BUT the Ext. Bel E/C is not the same as the reg/ E. It's way better, maybe too good. My Hart plays fine tension-wise with regular 92s Flex with the E normal as well. The Bass just rings all over and the wood sounds even a bit after the note is stopped. Most basses need a beefier E but this one is fine. On the Hart, the Bel' E/C actually feels a bit on the heavy side but that's probably because for the last 18 months of so it was string with reg.92s.

Now after putting the Bel's on the Hart, I am re-thinking this string all over again. A bass needs what it needs, personal taste on brand and gauge aside.

As your bass breaks in and/or as seasons change, you might like then what you didn't now. Also, after a year or two when the strings are less than they were, almost anything will sound better.. lol