View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Great..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Moilanen View Post
Just making it know that the bass is in a good shape, despite the dry cold winter here. And soundwise it has made some real progress.
Yeah, I have the pics you sent me Ken, and it is the same bass! Nothing speculative. Al McKibbon seems to be relaxing on those. Nice pics!
Great. I am glad to see that the Bass is healthy and happy as well. Like I may have mentioned before, I never had it set up for Orchestra playing. I had very tight bridge spacing (23.5-24mm) for my playing style back then. The Bass served me well for the 15 years I used it professionally. It is one of the great basses no doubt.

Once when doing a Jingle (commercial recording) with a 60 piece orchestra and 3 basses in total, I was told after the mixing session that between the Gagliano, Bergonzi and my bass, I had the best sound of the 3. The other two players were the first and second call studio players on the commercial Classical recordings in NYC then. The first guy formerly worked in the NY Phil. He is quite famous as a player and a teacher as well.