View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

And lots of grits...

Another favourite pancake option is cottage cheese, honey, and walnuts. But that seems a bit Mediterranean.

I actually checked out grits on Wikipedia. It's something polenta-like? I think I'd like that. My parents were vegetarians when I was little and they were into all this strange stuff, which I loved back then but is near impossible to translate since the words just won't show up in the online dictionary. But once I started going to kindergarten it was all about factory produced food. Took me ages to get over it and start explore new stuff again.

Today, I had some semla in hetvägg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semla
You haven't had a pastry until you've had that. It has the flavour of a time when you still had oxens and ground your wheat in a windmill. Criminally overlooked worldwide. In that article it says that is is also traditional in Norway, but the Norse guys I had it with today didn't know what it was!!
Oh, the shock, the horror.

Serving it in a bowl of hot milk with some cinnamon is the trick. Then you can take the 'hat' off first, and dip it into the milk. Aah. I am currently in a state of gastronomic euphoria.

NP: Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream