View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool restoration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
Ken- thanks for that info. I have heard so many varying opinions about the bass... I got the information on the age from a letter that was given to me by the family of the previous player. It was from Kenneth Warren and Son- dated 1954. (I have some knowledge of their reputation in the business) I truly appreciate your experience and knowledge in the field.

Arnold- Thanks for the info on Bill Crow. I hadn't seen that bass before. It does look similar, but hard to tell from the low res pics on his site. Maybe I will try to contact him to compare notes.

I really don't care what year the bass is. It has a wonderful sound and I feel like I got a good deal on it 10 years ago. I am thinking about having a restoration done, as I haven't had any work, other than putting on the extension and adjusting the post done since I bought it. Would you have any suggestions about things I should have done? (Since you have encountered some of these type instruments before) I have had one estimate around $5,500. The hardest part about doing the restoration is being without the bass for that long!

BG
What's broken? What needs to be done? What if any modifications are on your mind? Why do you feel this Bass needs a restoration?

From your photos, I can't see any problems but perhaps you can fill us in on what we can't see in the pics.