View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool The Low E!

The E string sits lower to the FB on the bridge than does the higher set A and D. The G is audible because of its higher pitch. The E on the great old Basses is felt more than heard. On less expensive production Basses, the E is often weaker as that is the most difficult string to get equal audible volume from.

Many Basses sound better from 5,10 or 20 feet away than they do when you are holding the Bass close and playing it. This is a deep note we are talking about and needs some room to spread in the air. Many Bass used in Jazz that sound good playing them, loose the sound as you move further away from it. There is a difference between spread and presence. There is also a difference between good jazz/pizz Basses and good Orchestra/bowing Basses. Those Basses that do both things well, cost more especially in the orchastral field.

The best education is to go to a shop that has basses from 5k-200k and see what the differences are. A Gagliano I played yesterday had all Spirocors on it and was used by a top Classical player. I have a Bass almost as good in sound and even deeper and wider spread on the low E but that is set up with Flexocors. Even with A Superfelxible E, it had superior spread. I have another Bass with all Superflexs and its a great Jazz Bass with most strings but needs smoother bowing strings for orchestra or it's just too bright sounding.

Bottom line? Don't expect the world from every Bass especially in the lower price ranges. Most great Jazz Basses do not work well for Orchestra unless set up completely different and vise versa. Only a small percentage of Basses do both things well and those are out of reach for most shoppers.

Have patience and find the set-up that works best for you and your Bass. A Bass that needs an Amplifier to sound good says it all right there. I don't think a sound post adjustment or any other set-up guru fix will work a miracle on a Bass like yours. Even some of the best Orchestral Bass costing 50-100k or more has their set or problems tone wise.

Weak E strings are very common. Did you know that less than 200 years ago the English refused to switch to 4-strings from 3 saying that they didn't believe any note below an 'A' or maybe G (if tuned down) can sound good and have a full fundamental? The Germans and Viennese were already coming to London with their standard 4s and some occasional 5 string Basses. Old habits die hard as they say. many of my English and Italian Basses were 3-stringers and were converted from 3 to 4 string within the last century. Some of the Scrolls are about an inch shorter in the pegbox as well.

Hang in there, the fun is just beginning. You think you have problems? Look at the threads that talk about crack repairs and restorations. I could buy a Rolls for what I spent over the last few years in repairs alone.

Another solution is to use a regular gauge set and a heavier E string. I do it all the time with great results and I am not alone on this string mixing thing.