Thread: Juzek NY ?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Ken.

I actually went to see a couple other basses last night and the seller knows of this specific Juzek and it's seller. He didn't question the sellers intentions, but he did say that this 1900 NY Juzek, while truly being a Juzek, is in need of complete restoration. He suggested I go take a look, and to look at several other shops, so I don't question his reporting this. (He's also well respected in our town, so I don't think anyone is out to mislead anyone on this instrument...)

I'm still going to look at it, but while I have the money to spend, I don't have more to sink into repairs. While I'm excited about getting a nice older carved bass, I'm not going to rush into it. I need to get on more instruments and figure out how to feel the difference. I came home last night after playing two European instruments over 100 years old ( granted they both needed some work) and played my Christopher 7/8 401 and loved what I heard - beyond just being comfortable... Is that the opinion of a novice, or what ?

Anyway, thanks for your quick reply. If I can get my camera to work right I'll snap a couple pics and try to post them. If it looks workable, I'd still like to keep it under consideration.

Brian Casey