View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm..

Well, in the first scroll pic, the head looks pitched about 6 inches forward of the plane of the fingerboard joint. This is either because it's broken off at the throat/peg box-neck area or it's just made poorly.

The second pic shows a bass that looks to be very crudely made. Possibly by an amateur maker.

From these two pics so far I would guess something homemade on a Yankee idea. Age? Can be 10 to 100 or more years old. I can't tell at this point.

Also, it could be a Blockless style from the looks of the shoulder-neck area and the Top lacks purfling as well. As far as being similar to my Batchelder, that would be a compliment to this bass, not the Batchelder.

Still, without more and better pics, the 'jury' is still out. The Batchelder although made a bit on the crude side has a beautifully made Scroll and nicely cut FFs as well. It's unpurfled but so is my Martini, the Back of my big English Gamba and was my Dodd as well on both plates. The lack of Purfling alone is not a sign either way. It was a detail left out with the belief that it wasn't needed.

Richard could be wrong as well. It could be Confederate too. Who knows..