Thread: Oliv Height
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Gongrats on the free set there, Calvin. I once did the Oliv/Eudoxa setup, and it rocked. Huge, fat sound. Doesn't work for solo playing, though.

I still have the same string height as when I played with those wrapped guts. My steel set-up is on the high side, and I've thought about cutting down the bridge some, but I like the extra power, and it doesn't really bother me. If your string height is already on the high side, chances are that there won't be any problems at all.

When I got the guts, I had to make two of the holes in the tailpiece bigger. That was quite a chore, as I was in a hurry, and I did get some marks in the table. (Can't see them any more, though.) And as Ken says, they need time to settle. Someone please correct me in time now if I'm wrong, but I found that it didn't hurt to tune them one half note higher in the beginning, to save some time. Of course, if you'd do that with a properly stretched out string, you're likely to ruin it forever, so some caution is adviced.

Also, yes, they might require a different bow approach, as Ken points out. But one that will most likely only be of benefit to you, at least that's my experience. You'll have to adjust to the string, rather than force it to do what you want... but you'll notice all about that.