View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Rene Roy View Post
By glue spots...I mean take your brace (This bass had traditional horizontal bracing) and put a one inch drop of glue every 2 inches across the brace. This is a bad idea and one I will not do again.
I have never in my life heard or that or saw that in any bass. What was the 'supposed' purpose of this idea? Glue 'outside' the joint 'on top' of the wood that's glued to the bass?

I have seen plenty of natural glue drips inside of a bass that was just sloppy work but I am sure none of it was done intentionally. My Gilkes had just about the entire Back covered in drips from seams being sloppily glued. Arnold made mention that he scraped off about 2 lbs. of glue from the back during the restoration. I am sure it was more like ounces than pounds but either way, the glue was not there to serve any purpose at all.

I have one old Italian bass in restoration with the upper and lower braces beautifully scalloped. They are slightly wider than normal but fairly shallow with a slight 'roller coaster' design from end to end. I asked the Luthier working on this particular bass (Nick Lloyd) to leave the original 'bars in place if at all possible. This way I could see if the bass sounds good with them in because we could always replace them later if 'bars are not destroyed blindly just for tradition sake.

Glue Drips? Maybe it's some sore of low cost 'sealer' to the wood that a Luthier/Witch Doctor came up with. Leave windows open in the Summer with the Rain and high humidity? Why would any human punish themselves like that and try breathing that heavy wet air. I would suspect he was at least as sick as the bass by that time.. right?