View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Newer Pre..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Padmore View Post
I recently bought a bsr5gn and this is an awsome bass! The overall output compared to my 9volt crv5 is roughly similar. However I do NOT have to crank the bass knob to get hugh bottom end! Granted the new bass is an 18volt with different dip switches and S/P switches but Ken can confirm - frequency points are similar if not the same. Bottom line is the newer pre kicks butt over the 9volt version. I have not even thought about switching to another pre like I did with the crv5.
The Newer Pre' is basically the same as the older Pre' but with some new additions. The DIP switch is one of them. The settings from the shop ARE different than the pre-set of the 9v unit. For instance, the Bass 'shelf' filter is set at 100 on the 9v but 200 on the 18v. What that does is boost (or cut) a wider band of frequencies. With the 9v set at only 100, the Bass is a tighter boost or cut. The 200 setting is just more. If both basses are the same exact woods (really impossible) and set flat, the only differences should be the woods themselves. The 18v pre' HAS the 9v default setting there as well as marked on the instruction sheet that comes with the Bass. The 18v just allows you to have it set differently.

The other two differences are more obvious. The Pots on the 18v are steel bracketed against the board to prevent breakage. The 18v also uses 2 batteries. This means little unless they both run low. At that point, they have a combined voltage and woll last longer than a single battery. They do however drain together so it 'eats' more juice along the way. The output is the same as if you put a second battery in your car under the hood. It wont go any faster, but will run longer with the lights left on!