View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
Thank's but that's not a Vincenzo. Actually, I don't know if that Bass is labeled or branded or just attributed. J.Panormo working for Dodd? That's news to me since it's noted that he and his Father worked for Bett's at the start but after a few years Joseph opened up his own shop while the father known as 'old' Panormo (Vincenzo) stayed in the Betts shop.

A lot of who worked for who is speculative to a degree because many of them worked in a shop for another and then either had their own shop or worked from home doing double duty. Also, some of the makers noted as 'workers' were actually never employed directly by or in the shop of but rather contracted to supply instruments as a subcontractor or 'out worker' as they also called it. Sometimes fully completed, sometimes 'in the white' and sometimes without the Scroll, just a carcass. I have seen one S.A.Forster Bass where the bass is 100% John Lott but not the Scroll or the Varnish. I read by the author that there were 5 of these made and from a living source that they are all the same model and make thus showing Lott was his bass carcass supplier.

As claimed by T.Martin in the link above that this Dodd bass was made by Joseph is news to me as only Fendt and Lott Snr's. are recorded as having made their basses. Fendt though up until the time he left the shop to work for Betts.. maybe? maybe not.

There is really no way to know 100% who made what for whom without having been there watching them work. It is only guess work putting the pieces together. Some puzzles more complete than other.

For the record, I am mainly interested in finding pictures of Vincenzo's basses regardless of where they were made. I have heard of at least one made in Italy but do not recall seeing it. I have not heard of any made in Paris where he also worked and lived for a time or Dublin where he was briefly for about a year possible associated with Thomas Perry.