View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Levi View Post
I have a large 7/8 size bass (some claim it to be 4/4) with a 42" string length. Its not the easiest instrument to get around partly due to its broad shoulders but it has a very balanced and rich sound for pizz and for arco.
I am seriously contemplating shortening the scale to 41" and have a couple of questions !

What would the recommended method be / to deepen the neck block and loose some of the ribbing or perhaps to have base of the actual neck heel shortened ?

Thanks
Adrian
Anything you do that moves the nut closer to the Bridge moves the notes downwards over the shoulders as well. Every shortening has to be thoroughly thought out. Playability is the key.

Show me some pictures and all the measurements. I am sure there will be questions for more measurements regardless but still, show me/us the bass before you do anything. Shorting to 41" from 42" is a big move. Sometimes just moving the bridge up a bit makes it all easier. A 42" length is not long. Usually I only consider shortening basses that are over 42". That extra inch over 41" is only 1/2" in spacing the first octave. A more desired length these days is 41 1/2". That makes your bass only 1/4" inch longer for the first octave.

Many old broad and cello shaped shouldered basses have been totally cut down and the shoulders sloped. That is a huge job and requires the edging and purfling replaced in the process if you want the bass to look right after the job. This is something that is usually only done on finer more expensive basses as the cost of a job like this costs more tahn the average bass itself.