View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Posting Member

Michael Holden is on a distinguished road

Mr. Smith I do appreciate your experiance, and I also appreciate how "respected" you are in the industry. I just completely disagree with you. I do agree that there are better bows out there... I do agree there are better basses, I also agree that bows in the $3k range are better then the bows in the $800 range.
But I disagree that the $3k bows are best for EVERYBODY. I have been playing classical bass for a short period of time.. but i've play violin since I was 4. So I do have some experiance in the matter. My violin teacher (of 6 years) Was a professional musician. She had a bow, which I don't remember the exact price.. but it was under $1,000. And she impressed upon me, that bows aren't judged by it's price tag. She owned a bow that was much more expensive then her main $1k bow. She said a bow is all about feel. She said she bought the very expensive bows because it helped with one aspect of her playing, but her main bow was the cheaper one. It felt better to her and was easier for her to play.
So Mr. Smith you could be the greatest bass player in the world, but you will never have me agree that any bow over $3k is good for everybody.