View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Posting Member

Michael Holden is on a distinguished road

So Ken... are you saying since the violin doesn't need the pull strength of a bass... the bow doesn't make as big of a difference on the violin??? I'm sorry, That is just more garbage. I'm glad "you" can tell a difference...I can do, BUT I have found a $700 bow which I like better then my instructors Reid Hudson. I have found a $1,300 Prochownik that I had a professional bassist at a string shop play, next to another Reid Hudson... he said the Prochownik was worth more. Every bassist is different, now if you need your expensive bows to play well and feel good playing it, thats you...But I know for me, I didn't like the REid Hudson's I've played, I liked the prochownik better. As did the professional bassist... who I had this same conversation with and he said he had a bow (don't recall the maker) he said it was worth about $8k.. and he said he hated it.. he sold it after having it for 3 months and returned to his $4k. I'm not saying expensive bows aren't good... I'm saying, sometimes cheaper bows are better for certain people... you have to try all bows.