Thread: Sonore strings
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Roessler View Post
Calvin, it seems weird that you would ask me what kind of strings he makes if you've spoken to him personally about them.

It would be more becoming for you to ask genuine questions, talk about what you know, and refrain from misguided personal attacks.
Settle down now and I will talk about my feelings about Gut, Gut core and Gut-like string.. This is from my most recent personal experiences..

In the last few years I have tried 3 types of Gut string sets, a few types of Gut-like synthetic sets and some Gut core sets complete or mixed (eg. Oliv/Eudoxa)..

At first, every set was nice when new with two exceptions, maybe three. After awhile I would notice their shortcomings. This could be in durability, bow response or even Pizz response under the ear. What was usually good was the thicker feel under the fingers.

I will say here and now that I have never seen, played, tried or heard these Sonore Strings and can only go by the descriptions I have read.

The fix for these shortcomings I have experienced was always returning to some type or full metal string like Flexocor 92s (Reg, stark or mixed) or most recently the new Belcantos with the bigger E/C string.

When playing in an Orchestra you need to dig in and grab the note when needed and any type of delay puts you behind in the music and the beat. Playing Orchestra Bass is often like playing in a rhythm section just like in Jazz or Pop music or even on Electric bass. YOU are the beat that holds it all together. Having strings that are slow to respond when digging in can be the death of your playing!

Now, finding which string responds best on your bass (sometimes on a given day) is another challenge altogether. Not being able to afford the bass of your dreams is another reality in life. Trying to make up for that with string switching all day and night just makes the insanity grow in my opinion. Using a bigger plate for your food is no more filling unless you actually have MORE food! Therefore, there is no magic all around string to make your bass sound like the d'Salo or Montagnana you wish you owned.

I spoke to one player at this years ISB who uses ONLY gut strings BUT, does NOT play in a regular Orchestra but rather a Chamber orchestra at most. Thus being the case, one must realize what certain strings were used for in the past or what worked better for whatever once they were developed.

The great majority of Orchestra players in the world as well as Jazz players USE Steel Strings of one kind or another. If your Gut to Gut-like strings aren't cutting it, then go with the herd. There is safety in numbers..

If it's the Gut 'sound' you are searching for, go with it if you must but don't expect them to be able to do what the modern Steels can do. If such was the case and Guts could out perform Steels, then Steels would be off the market by now.