View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool I pay much less than a grand for the pair??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeong Cham View Post
Hi Ken,

These basses have carved tables, solid flatbacks and rips.

As I am a very new student of the instrument, I cannot justify (nor can I afford to) paying thousands of pounds for a bass. I have spoken to a few bassists here and the consensus is that below a grand will only get me a laminate. I pay much less than a grand for the pair. Yes, I do see now that they will need some work done to them but I feel that for the same money I could do a lot worse, i.e., Made in China laminates with “ebonized” fingerboard and tail piece. I hired one such bass during my first five weeks. Calling them “not nice” is an understatement...

I will have to get a quote from the luthier for moving the neck out and increasing the pitch angle. I have a feeling that it’s going be out of my budget so I might just have to live with it for now and settle with just a new. Besides, I need to get a proper bow as well. Too bad the “Loveri” bow is sold out...

Thanks again for your valuable advice.
Two basses for so cheap? Maybe due to the set-up condition!

The point is to find out what they are worth in the best set-up condition and go from there on how much you would spend to make them right. If you like the bass then make it right. Sell one as-is and fix the one you like most. You only need ONE working bass at this time. Having 2 or 10 bad basses doesn't help your problem. Consolidate and conserve..