View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok now..

Please pay attention. I have a fairly good eye, not the best but better than most. This bass looks like it has wood stain on it more than violin varnish. This bass WAS re-finished or re-stained or something to that affect. Again, only a personal inspection would get me to put money on it but I am leaning that way.

The graft is where a new neck slides into the scroll. Look here at the bottom of this page for a graft in progress. The thin lines in the cheeks of the peg box above the nut half way up is the graft joint. There is a joint underneath as well.

I have no idea who is out your way qualified to do this level of work to the degree I am used to getting. Neck-to-block fit, neck pitch and neck stand as well as all square. Not a job for just anyone. If done wrong, it will need to be corrected.

This Bass may not be worth all that it needs to be made right. Often when basses are sold, the previous owner knows all or some of this. Do you ever get rid of a perfectly good working Car? Be careful with this or any bass you step into. Good repairs are not cheap. Look for a bass with less mystery involved as far as condition and restoration costs go. If this were a much nicer bass worth over $20k, I would say go for it. In my opinion, this bass on its best day would not fetch half of that in its best condition.