View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ok now..

I am at home and all my books are at the office. I did however look this guy up. At first I looked in my German/Austrian makers book and nothing was there on him. Then I went to the general 2 book set of all makers and there he was. A commercial factory of instruments and strings from Bohemia, not Germany by near the German border. I think it's mentioned that he was from Germany but the shop was in Czech territory near Schonbach.

This bass looks Germanic in its style and making as was typical of that period right next to Germany. Also, many basses then and now were made by Bass speciality shops and sold to others to be re-labeled. This is how basses were imported into the USA but I am sure the practice was not limited to just exports. Why make a bass or two if the other shop makes 100s and well sell them unlabeled if asked.

I wasn't there so I can't swear to this but it makes sense. The outer Rib Linings finish flush with the Top and Back. This is more typical of the Schonbach/Luby school than with the Germans makers. The Prague and Viennese makers of basses finished them flush as well but rarely with outside linings. That feature (the Linings) is German on these basses. I don't know if this bass is from the factory that it's labeled from or just labeled and sold by them. It doesn't matter. Call it by its label. It's close enough if not spot on.