Thread: Bridge Price
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
IMO - it is high, unless there is a lot of work to do on the finger board, nut, or tailpiece/wire to allow the bridge to function correctly. Just the bridge with adjusters- it's too high. IME, the best bridge available with adjusters fitted shouldn't run over $450 regardless of the location in the U.S.
I think Location has a lot to do with price. It is tied to overhead and how much an hour costs in that shop. I heard that one major NYC shop is charging close to $700 for a bridge with adjusters. That to me is high. I think $550 is high too. Working in your Garage and working in a commercial space in a big city means prices will vary. Now, if the guy in the Garage makes the same product as in the City shop then it should cost less on the overhead side but not necessarily. Getting what you pay for is not always the case either. Some shops charge $50/hr and some $100/hr. The quality or grade of work is not always better in the more expensive shop. Also, the more expensive shop is not necessarily making more net profit either. They have a bigger rent and overhead to cover.