Thread: Clean/Polish
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
I always make a habit wiping my bass down with a soft cloth (no water or polish or anything like that, just a cloth) after every few days.

I've noticed that since moving the bridge there are marks as to where the feet used to be. Is there any kind of polish that can get rid of this without damaging the varnish?

Thanks
First off, does the bridge fit as well now as it did before in the 'moved to' position?

Second, what was the string length then and now (how much did you move the bridge)?

Third, was the sound post moved and re-checked as well after moving the bridge?

Forth, was the Heel then a D-neck and what is it now?

And Fifth but not least, to answer your question, polish may not be what you need. Polish is meant to be used as a cleaner/polisher. You may need that 'old foot' area re-compounded or touched up if you want it to look perfect. Also, if the wood is at all scratched or dented, just live with it or have it touched up, professionally ofcourse.

If wiping it with a dry or slightly damp cloth (not wet) doesn't work then it needs attention to the finish or wood.

My personal motto is often "if you have to ask, take it to a professional you trust".