Thread: Clean/Polish
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool a Juzek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
Indeed. The Mariinsky Orchestra with Gergiev came over here for some concerts this week. I had a chance to talk with the section after. They all were fantastic musicians that could REALLY play. I was surprised to hear that the basses that they were using for the concert were their main instruments. The "nicest" ones were the front-desks; both Pollman Gamba five-string basses. The other instruments were all around 10,000.00. One was a Juzek with a false-nut and the bridge about 1 inch about the FF notches.

Measurements and specifications can be a means to an end. These guys could make anything sound great.

My two cents.
A Juzek coming here with a Russian Orchestra? Must have immigrated there somehow from the states. All the old Juzek labels (1920s to 1970ish) were put on the Wilfers in New York. Some of them had 43-44" lengths on their 7/8 models. I myself made a False Nut for one back in the last '70s before selling it. Just got it down to around 42" at best as I remember.

These basses were made on either side of the German border. First I think in Schoenbach before the war and later in Bubenreuth after it.

The bigger basses usually have a good sound if maintained and sometimes modified as there basses were made for the trade mainly. Pollmann's always sound good in Orchestyra settings. I will play next to one this weekend.