View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation bad Smith?

Tiger Maple is a deep sounding wood. Walnut tops for the MWs are brighter sounding. The bass I am sure was in their stock in a humid climate for some time. That will affect the wood. The Strings by the time you got the bass may be water logged like the bass from the humidity on Florida where the dealer was. The bass needs to settle back and dry out. Mail order is tricky. I am 100 miles from you. I shipped the bass 1500 miles to Fl. They shipped it back to you just 100 miles east of me another 1500 miles.

Blame the climate, not the bass. It probably needs to come in for set-up and will need to dry out a bit as well. We have similar problems with double basses coming in from Italy or England as their climate is much different. From China, woah.. like UNDER water.. lol

Have patience. There is nothing wrong with what we made or how we made it. Just the locale of the bass in its travels to get to you. If you get me the serial number, I can tell you how long it's been down south near the Atlantic.