View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb easier to maintain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Auvil View Post
My Shen SB180 is a beauty! The sound is becoming juicier each month. I bought it from Nick Lloyd and I can't say enough about his set-up. I just called, told him the type of playing I do, and trusted him to set it up and ship it. Maybe it was just luck, but he hit the nail on the head!

I'm now considering a five-string and debating which Shen fiver to buy - Gemunder 7/8, or the new 190 hybrid. If anybody has done anything close to a "head-to-head" comparison between the two, please share your experience.

My major concern is the extremely variable western Pennsylvania weather and humidity conditions. I'm just thinking the hybrid will be easier to maintain.
More than just 'easier to maintain' I would be more concerned with the sound. Most 5 string basses just have 5 strings. Some though do have a decent sound on the low end. Playing a 5er on the other hand is not as easy as it sounds. I have owned a few. Converted one from 5 to 4 and one from 4 to 5.

For Orchestra playing you would be better off with a good 4-string bass and a handmade custom chromatic c-extension. Sometimes there is nothing to play below the E. Other times, you have a few notes here and there which are no big deal.

I debated this quite a bit and have done just about everything there is in regards to different basses as well as d-tuning a regular 4. With the 5er, when you don't need the B, it's in the way. Most basses unless that are 4/4-5/4 size have the strings pushed closer together with 25-26mm spacing. To play a 5er you need at least 27-28mm to play the low B and E. The E is more of a middle string now and musically gets way way more play then the B will ever. Also, the Fingerboard needs a huge round arch to play and bow comfortable. That round arch is more work on the left hand as well.

In Europe, 5ers rule. Here in the States, 5ers are rare. I sold 2 in the last few years, both of which I used briefly in the Orchestra and I have one in set-up now as we speak. For me, the 5er is a once in awhile instrument to play when I get bored and it's a 'minor' concert relatively speaking. On rare occasions the piece is easier to play on the 5er than the extension but in the majority of the music above the E, the set-up and 5-strings are just not happening.

You want something with 5-strings and a good sound on the low B, get a BIG bass. Anything less will be a toy.

On the Shen's they used to make a Maple back/rib model with a roundback in the 3/4 and 7/8 on the Gemunder pattern. This by the way is really Gemunder or G.&Sons Imported German basses. The Gemunders made by hand and all original look either Italian if by August Snr. or French if by George Snr. Both models made in or around Springfield Mass. before they moved to NY. The Shen model is off of the 'labeled' import that the Gemunders 'sold'. I have the 3/4 sitting here with me now from 1997. Since then I have seen a few Gemunders that were about the same model. I have also seen the older Mass. made Gemunder basses by both brothers and the difference is night and day. Made here by them or imported and labeled. Clear as day once you know what you are looking at.

For your choice if that's all that's on the menu, the Shen 7/8. The bigger the better for the low slow air of a 5er B.