Junior Posting Member

Samuel Budnyk is on a distinguished road

Who's making your bass, Ken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Sense of humor?

Who me?

Who said that?

Speaking of this topic which has been laid to rest for almost 3 years, let me say that what ever I said in post #6 as referred to above, is no longer 100% true.

I have decided to have a bass made, copying the cornerless bass I have with beautiful woods BUT violin corners added. Not big corners but something to make it look right.

I sold my BIG Gamba bass but got another one recently, not quite as big in size or sound but fitting in an orchestra. The other one was a bit big for me and when playing it I couldn't hear a thing around me but me!

My current Gamba is a normal volume deep sounding old Bavarian bass made for the orchestra for normal sized humans.. Like me!

Anyway, I still love all of the bass regardless of their size of shape. It's just that some are easier to play certain things on.

My main Orchestra bass now is the Hart and my secondary bass is the Bavarian/Mittenwald Gamba that works just as good for Jazz. I did a concert a few weeks ago with an Orchestra featuring a famous Trumpet player that threw in two jazz tunes, a ballad and a big band number. From the 2nd chair (of 4) I played those two tunes thru an amp as if playing in a big band with strings and woodwinds. The drums were at my right surrounded by 4 basses. The other 3 basses didn't play but a few bowed whole notes on those tunes but tapped their feet to make sure I was doing my job correctly.. The Gamba bass did just fine with bow and without.

So, Gamba or Violin corners or none at all, play and have some fun.