View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Adrian Levi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
For me, the neck must be comfortable and strong. On all major restorations I have a CF Graphite Bar/s put in for added strength. Then, a full thick fingerboard goes on.

Thick or thin necks or FBs do sound different. I don't think you can make a Bass that much better changing things here in the neck area. You can make THAT bass sound a little better or sized to your comfort but not everyone feels the same on what comfort is.

However, I have been told many times over that the basses I have here in stock are the best set-up feeling basses 'as a group' than any other shop they have been to. Why do I hear that? Because the necks are not thin or thick, the fingerboards are thick and well dressed and the necks are for the most part, reinforced. The right fb curve and the right bridge arch for easy bowing, good spacing at the bridge and nut, nut height near zero under the strings, camber about 1mm or so, the right neck to body angle, overstand, tailpiece to bridge angle, etc, etc, etc.. all part of what makes a bass feel and play good.. besides a good bass.
Thats interesting about the graphite bar ! Do you ever consider using light tuners for sound improvement or would you consider it overkill ? Some say that the lighter tuners and or wooden string pegs have a positive impact on sound .... but I guess perhaps thats bordering the obsessive !