View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If you ever experienced the exact same bass before and after having the Graphite rod/s put in you might have a different viewpoint.

Several of my Double basses that now have CF graphite rods in them didn't before and now they do. Making or leaving a neck thicker or too thick to play comfortably just to keep it strong is the not the way to go in my opinion.

There is more than one kind and one grade within each method of making these rods. There is also more then one way to install them. Not all Graphite is created equal. Not all neck mods with graphite are equal between luthiers either.

I discuss the method of putting the Rods in with the few lutheirs that do this and on my basses, they are done just about the same way I would do it.

I prefer the Graphite rods in all my new or restored necks and I have had quite a few pass thru my inventory in the last few years.

On what's best for shock when you bang your bass, nothing. Don't bang the bass!
I'll take your word that the graphite make a tonal improvement, since as you say, I haven't had the chance to compare a bass before/after the modification.

So you're of the opinion that in order to make a wood neck structurally sound, it has to be too thick in terms of playability? And also that it isn't then an issue of technique on the player's part? For the majority of my years playing I've worked to drive my left hand with everything but the thumb, which I think most will agree is the logical and healthy approach, and I find that the thickness of a neck had little impact on the playability of a bass. On the other hand, I find a particular, distinct lack of tone and response in thin-necked bass that worsens as the necks get thinner, and also that thin necks are rather fatiguing to play for long periods.

As for not banging the bass... well, maybe that works for the player who never takes the instrument out of the house, but last I check most "working" bass get beat pretty well. And a broken bass means no pay+repair bill...