View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb wow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Romey View Post
oh and no soundpost crack.....
The more you tell me the more I think this is 20th century rather than 19th century. The overall shape with the outer linings combined convinces me that my first impression is correct. This bass would be more of a German Shop bass than German School bass so this thread should be moved to that section. Imported basses recieving labels reading 'Juzek', 'Pfretzschner', 'Morelli' and the like are all re-branded Shop basses. I don't know what this was or when it came over here but it is along those lines rather than a hand made bass from a single maker.

With the body size and over 42" string length I would classify this as a mid-wars bass (between 1920 and 1936) German/Czech/Bohemian Germanic style Shop bass. The different colors of varnish are most likely altered by 'improvers' of the past.

Wait, not soundpost cracks? Look again. This thing is split all over the place. I would get in there with a light and mirror. It looks like a huge old crack pretty close to the Post and should get a post patch type repair to play it safe.

This Top has a crack near the soundpost, one coming up from the saddle towards the post and on both sides of the bass bar. You asked about its value fully restored? That type of work might easily exceed its value I am sorry to say.

Some refer to basses like this as 'players instruments'. Although they will never make it to the Museum, they will work well in the field in general.