Thread: 5/8 size
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 5/8?

What exactly is a 5/8 size bass? A full size car today is smaller than a full size car 40 years ago. Body size coupled with string length is what you should look for. It might be called a 3/4, a 5/8 or even a 1/2 size depending on who you ask and what you compare it to. I think that 41 3/4 is a full 3/4 or as we call it here today a 7/8 size but this depends on the overall size. These sizes used today are mostly used to refer to new factory basses made for school students. NO old basses follow these guidelines as they come first before the ruler.

Size of a bass in sound is not exactly a comparison verses volume. It can mean more depth on a bigger or deeper bass but louder can be or mean more audible.

I just compared to basses here for an acoustic gig I have coming up in two weeks, Pno/Ba duo. The bigger of the two basses as fuller sounding but the smaller one was louder. It is not a small bass, just small-ER. One is a full 3/4-7/8 and the other is a true 4/4 size. The string length is about the same on both basses.

Do you play with an Amp or only acoustic?

I suggest due to your hand injury (and sorry to hear about that) you would consider a small amp and not kill yourself. There is no shame in it.

We have a member here involved with several basses that is from your neck of the woods or is it called 'around the horn'?

Smaller basses well set-up should be easier to play. Left hand technique coupled with good right hand should present little or no strenuous effort at all unless trying to drown out the drums. Evan a Mic on the bass in the sound system would help.

Let's see what else unfolds here to answer your question.