Thread: French bass ID
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ?$?

What do I win?

It want's to be a Jacquet and might well be. The Purfling is a big further then the edge from the others I have seen so not quite as nice. The scroll is the typical Guild/Union made Scroll as fond on most French Basses from the latter part of the 19th century. I only have the body, purfling, FFs and Varnish to go by but even then, the Varnish was done by the Guild as well.

The Back style without rib taper or angle break from either the upper corner blocks or both the lower and upper on some does not fit any Jacquet I have seen. The FFs don't match the examples I have seen from 3 of the makers, the 4th having worked with one of the brothers or his brother-in-law so I have never seen his personal work.

This family of 4 makers specialized in basses and became quite famous for them. I would not rule out a lower grade Mirecourt copy either.

Jacquet style is all I can say for sure. Unless someone has seen a similar labeled or branded Jacquet bass and deemed authentic I can't say for sure it can be attributed to them. Just 'in the style of' is the safest way to go.