View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool penned by hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Not to contradict you Maestro, but the "Master Art Copy" Juzeks I've seen have a year written on the label. They look to have been penned by hand.
I don't disagree. I just never seen one. My Bass was a Master Art model but had the WBW label from Wilfer. Juzek Didn't put their label in that bass. I myself 'penned' in the date. There were other basses up there sitting for years unsold and unseen by the public. It would have been a 'hunt' to find out when they were made or when they came in.

I think the Master Art Basses for the most part could have been made before the War and left in stock as the one I got there was old. Bobby Juzek said they can't get these anymore so I assume that it was from after the war by its looks. I first saw that bass in 1966 or so. That's the date I put in it but bought it in late '71.

Those basses called 'Master Art' were made by Wilfer, Wenzel or the elder Anton. I have owned one of each. I have an old catalog page with the same basses advertised and it's not by Juzek. This shows that Wilfer sold them to more than one company here in the states. Juzek sold most of their basses to the Public School system. I assume now that they couldn't buy all the higher end basses that Wilfer could produce so they found someone else to buy their production as well. The maple figuring on the Master Art basses is about the best that's ever grown on the planet.