View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Wink Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rose View Post
....I'm just trying to get a sense of where the upper horn would be in this position (especially on the BSR or Fusion style bodies). It works on some other instruments I have that have the strap button nearer the neck and the 10th fret, but of course, they don't sound like a Smith.
Hey Ben, the upper horn on the BSR extends further than the BT body cut. Whether it's the Fusion cut or not is irrelevent. The BSR is VERY well balanced on a strap. In fact, you have good flexibility in selecting how you want the bass to hang regardless of body cut (i.e. fusion or otherwise). The upper horn cut has more to say about balance on a strap.

The BT cut on the other hand has a shorter upper horn and as a result you will feel more neck dive (i.e. on a strap, the neck may rest closer to 3 o'clock). However, you can deal with this by simply positioning your arm accordingly over the upper body wing in order to help balance to your desired playing position.

As far as sitting, while the BT body cut would be the better choice for a bass player that likes to sit and play, I could sit and be thoroughly happy with the BSR or BT body cut. I actually have no problem with either the BSR or BT body cut as far as balance or feel, whether on a strap or not. They are both excellent cuts and to the player it's a matter of what feels best to them.