View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rose View Post
Hi Tim,

I play that way more for wrist angles than balance. (Also, I rarely slap). What I'm wondering is if the placement of the upper horn on the bsr will make it so the strap has to wrap around my neck if I play it in this position, or alternatively, how far it will shift the instrument to the left (from the players point of view).

This question can probably only be answered by picking one up and trying it, but I thought I would ask it anyway in case someone else on this forum plays like that. One more reason to visit the shop or a local dealer.
Well, it's difficult to determine what "position" your playing preference is, however, I think you're right. It would be best if you were able to test-drive your particular scenario. I cannot recall ever having any issue with a strap cutting into my neck when I play (BT or BSR).

I did just try to replicate what I think you are saying. With the neck in an extreme vertical position (not quite 12:00 but close), the strap does come into contact with my neck. I like to play my bass fairly high up (about mid-chest high), so, that may be something to consider as well, as we all don't have the same body-shapes. Maybe it will just come down to what strap works best for you?