View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation ok..

It is a German Bass in the 100 year range. I have a bass about 99.99% exactly the same. I would venture to say from the same shop in Germany. Mine is in restoration so I can't show it to you but it is just about the exact bass. For a moment, I looked twice to see if it was mine but it's not strung up yet. It was poorly restored in the past which caused its current internal collapse. It too has a Kolstein repair label. It also has an appraisal as an 1860 Mirecourt French bass. Although these are French type solo model influenced basses, it does not make them French. The outer linings on your bass and how it miters across the neck joint is typical German work. The appraisal says typical Mirecourt 'lipping' which I don't subscribe to. I have never in my life seen a certified French bass with outer linings. French looking basses with outer linings are made in Germany.

You have there a German bass from about 100 years ago or so and that is a fair price IF the work inside does not include a sprung bass bar which mine did or a sunken top at the bar side or any other damage that would cause it to need the work done over again but correctly this time.

If you can borrow the bass and take it to Arnold, Jeff or myself you will be able to get a good idea what the bass needs or does not. There is no one else between NY and Pa that I would add to that short list for review.

Getting opinions on line as to the worth of a bass on the internet is no better than getting medical advice and acting upon it afterwards.