View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ah ha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Finlay View Post
Yeah,

I've never seen a French bass with outer linings. I once saw a French bass with outer linings that were added by a shop in Germany because the original ribs had been so badly damaged by worms. 'Twas funny looking, to say the least.

The French models, of which there are a few distinct versions, are very clearly identifiable, if even only by the wood-choice. To me, the lining issue is a clear distinction, as is the size and shape of the blocks. While French purfling has been borrowed by a lot of other schools and the long French frog has been echoed in a few German and English basses, the inner-features like the blocks and cross-bars are unique to France.

Your Mittenwald bass is very nice. I've admired it before. It does have a very Tarr-looking outline. That very round model, in place of the longer, rectangular mold more commonly used in these basses calls a lot of attention to itself. Maybe it was a bass that Billy Tarr ordered and never received.

Attachment 1793

Attachment 1794

Attachment 1795

Looks very Neuner'ish in style and with lower rounded corners (as Elgar calls them correctly). Just a rough attribution. It could be just about any maker in the period. I can't say much more form those few pics. Is that varnish original?

Have you seen a Tarr that looked like my bass with outer linings like that. I think they measure 1 centimeter (in metric) where they are un-altered if that helps and not 3/8" (made in inches) as previously listed after measuring and examining the linings again last night. I have heard from more than one source that some Tarr's were made in Germany in one way or another. W.Tarr did 206 basses as did Prescott on record. Arnold is up to about 24 on the bench I think. Maybe they didn't have labor laws then, you think? Or Golf vacations come to think of it..