View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gray View Post
Nah, she's not 180 years old, but that's about the same time that Oberlin was founded!
Close enough..

On your Bass, it looks a bit later than 1830 in style and way later in condition unless, this was keep under wraps for a long long time.

I have seen basses similar to this closer to the turn of the century (19th-20th) but most older German basses I have seen (pre-1860) were flatback and darker varnish. I can't get into makers but I have not seen many roundbacks from the early 19th century if at all that I can recall.

Of course, a personal inspection as well as looking inside with mirrors and lights would tell a lot more. Checking the Varnish with a UV light would also help in the estimated period.

It is very common for dealers selling basses to date them earlier than they were made. I can't count the basses I have seen mis-dated and mis-identified in favor of the dollar/price in their favor.

Markneukirchen may be correct but I would say that with all considered from looking at your pics, 1880-1920 is my estimate. Nice looking bass either way.