Thread: Creaking bass.
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

I've just done thirty minutes practicing/working out some C licks - standing (arco). I've been listening for creaks and swinging the bass around on purpose. No creaks today.
Okay, what have I changed? The only thing I've changed is my endpin height as I've experimented with various seating positions. It's obviously now back on the fourth notch (for standing).
There are only two variables:
1) The weather. It has been very hot Down here (NZ), probably with a fair bit of humidity. Today is a tiny bit cooler, with a wind from the southeast. Southerlies are the cold winds Down here (NZ).
2) My endpin. Normally, when I change the length of my endpin and get ready to play (weight on endpin), there is a little bump and the bass drops like the endpin screw is finding a position in the groove on the pin. I always stop and tighten the screw a little more and there is no more movement. Maybe there is a bit of play in the endpin that I'm not aware of? Maybe, just maybe, the position of the endpin screw could cause the creak?

Well, that's where I'm at. Perhaps I'll return to practice and the creak will decide to join me? Here's what I'll do - I won't unscrew my endpin again until I have to take the bass out (I think my next gig is around the 23rd). If the creak returns, it might look more like a weather thing. Still, if it does return, I'll try to locate it with someone else holding the bass. At least I should be able to rule out the endpin.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 01-08-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Cleaned up a bit.. still on or near topic!