View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool same shade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Ken, it(THE BASS) was on the thread that you started on Italian Gambas in 2007--in your original post. This could be the one, but I remembered it as the same shade of varnish and everything-looked just like mine which is a more medium brown
Well then, look through that Italian Gamba Thread and this page for all of the Italians I have had here with the exception of a dealers bass with the Santaguilana label. Let me know which one you were referring to and we can talk. Here is fine since it's a modulation of the original Post. His Bass has some ideas from the Italian or Italian copied French model BUT, the Varnish and Dovetail Neck is a screaming LOUD sign that in one dim view should be easily noticed.

I do however have to point out that judging the origin of a Bass by its shade of varnish alone and on the internet is impossible. All of the basses on my web page called Italian are confirmed Italian basses by several authorities and have been seen in person before judging. I go by the style of the make first off as many basses have had touch-up or even over-varnishing or re-varnishing over the years.

There are so many German Basses made in that last 100-150 years copied from the French and Italian makers and styles that more often than not, they are German or Germanic from the neighboring Czech border. Older German/Germanic Basses before the 19th century commercial explosion may have looked more individual and handmade. Still, old Europen basses have to be studied inside and out and in person whenever a bass looks doubtful to a specific school or maker. If I say it's a German bass, it's because I have seen many others just like it that were confirmed German as well as confirmed NOT Italian or French or English, etc. There are many mysteries out there with origins. If I had 10% of every sale of basses that were sold as the wrong origin, instead of German, I would be a very rich man.

I do not in any way question your honesty Wayne. In fact I applaud you for being so open with your ideas and your business. But, players and dealers often, too often actually get caught up in there own enthusiasm and jump to the highest possible order of origin with maybe just a hint of hope in that direction.