View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Posting Member

Ruben E garcia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
great story Arnold-got any more that we might "enjoy"

I don't know who you are referring to when you say "master luthier" - is it Chuck or are you referring to me- if you are referring to my comment I made the other day, then you take me way too seriously-

If there is one thing I take pride in it's my honestly about my work. Anyone who knows me well would know that I am kidding when I call myself a master luthier. I would hope that I would never join the arrogant in our luthier community. I once opened up a bass that Bob Swanson "built". Written on the upper part of the top block were the words: "built by the master"-signed Bob Swanson. I thought it was funny and maybe Bob was poking fun at himself, and as we all know, who have seen his hand, rightly so.

My hat is off to Chuck Thraeger(is he dead or alive?) or anyone who has written a book over 100 pages long. Those of us who have tried it(and in my effort, failed) know what a job it is to write a book and to get it published.

I agree that we should disagree with some of Chucks teachings and wonder why he left out some repairs altogether, but until I write a book that is better, I will respect his effort and show appreciation for his help when no one else was around.

A truly great artisan is not threatened by others and has the wisdom to know that by helping others they help themselves. Suggesting caution of another and trying to turn kidding into truth shows insecurity. I say some need to lighten up. We, who have the gift of passion for the double bass should be happy and thankful and enjoy the passion and each other, rather than to be so negative, threatened, and just downright discouraging. I love you man, but sometimes you pee in my coffee.

London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down

wholmesbassviol@yahoo.com
www.holmesbassviol.com
bassist, luthier
I dont think I want to drink coffee for the rest of the week now
Think he was talking about Chuck...... Peace and love...