View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post

I place it in a wood mode(if I am going to replace the bass bar I will remove most of it before I put the top in the mold.

BTW, Traeger comes up pretty often- one thing that I totally disagree with him about is springing in a bassbar. IMO, it is totally unnecessary and good for nothing.
If you are going to re-shape the Top from depressions or sinkage you HAVE to take out the Bassbar. Actually, you need to 'gut' the inside of the Top if it's a full pressing. If a partial pressing, remove everything in that area if not more.

The usual areas that sink are the lower Bassbar area, upper Bassbar area, center Bridge area and Soundpost area in that order from what I have seen. If just under the Bar at the bottom, it is possible that it was caused by a sprung-in Bar. The Bar itself when sprung in will not push out the Top in the center like some think because it is anchored against thinner graduated areas of the Top that are weaker. The sprung Bar will pull the top inwards at the ends and possibly split to top as well.

I have had quite a few basses restored where the Top was partially or completely re-shaped so I have seen the process quite a few times. Last week I was up at Arnold's and saw the plaster mold outside behind the shop. I went to lift it and uhgggg, no way. It's a two man job. Arnold mentioned that each time he had to move the mold around with or without the Top in it he had his assistant help him move it.